THE MENSSANA GOOGLE SEARCH

Thursday, June 16, 2011

GREEK FOOD IN ASTORIA...AMAZING!


Taverna Kyclades
33-07 Ditmars Boulevard, Astoria NY

       At last, my quest for discovering authentic Greek cuisine has finally come to an end...
Greek Salad
I have been searching for the perfect Greek restaurant for months, tried a few spots but no winners.  Who better to inquire about Greek food then a Greek himself, and with a last name like Nikolas, I knew that I couldn't go wrong.  So I decided to meet up with a good friend for our weekly "coffee talk" at a local cafe on the upper east side.  For months, he has been raving about this Greek restaurant in Astoria that he frequents,  often sharing his food experiences, as I'm left drooling...  Nickolas offers me to tag along on his weekly trips over to Astoria, where he was born and raised.  I leaped at the invitation...literally!  I couldn't help myself, an opportunity to enjoy an afternoon off the "beaten path" without subways and foot traffic... Not only did i get to experience amazing Greek food, I even got a tour of a great part of Queens, rich in culture with a real neighborhood feel.  
       Now back to the meal...The menu is written in Greek and English, offering a wide selection of dishes from land and sea at reasonable prices and sizable portions. The starter included a mini loaf of warm bread dredged in olive oil, oregano and sesame seeds and a Greek salad with a colossal piece of perfectly moist and firm feta cheese, which would have satisfied me.  Maybe not!  Then the feast began...it was my first time eating whiting, served whole and fried to perfection.  A white fish, savory and rich in flavor...loved it!  The fried calamari was tender and crispy served with a side of lemon,  grilled shrimp that were flawlessly prepared, in texture and flavor... I would venture to say that the shrimp were the best I have EVER eaten...The smell of fresh fare from the sea, simply seasoned yet tasted exquisite.  But wait, there's more... sides included roasted lemon potato's that were the beyond delicious, I had to refrain from devouring every plate that passed by me...upon sides, of Horta, a heaping plate of steamed dandelions and a generous plate of rice.
 Whiting
I regret that we didn't order the octopus because I witnessed the lanky pink charred legs leave the kitchen every 2 minutes and they looked amazing!  The entire meal was beyond exceptional and worth waiting for.  The service was great and the ambiance was comfy authentic Greek flare, with walls and tables decorated in breathtaking images of Greece.  
       Worth mentioning, if you plan on having lunch or dinner there, be sure to arrive early.  We arrived at 12:15 and were seated promptly, however, By the time we were finished with our meal, there was a line around the corner.
       We ended our food excursion at Artopolis, a local Greek bakery, offering an impressive variety of Baklava beautifully displayed on a "self-serve" counter... I was tempted to just leave with the entire tray,  among other delicious deserts.  We had a petite cup of Turkish coffee and the perfect sweet treat. 
Ahhh, what a day... Can't wait to go back for the octopus!
THANK YOU NICK!

No comments:

Post a Comment